Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Fly In: New Friends, Good Times

Last weekend we went to a "Fly In". Basically, this is a get-together for people who ride foils. Since we now *ahem* ride a foil, this sounded pretty neat and it was here at Lake Mead, so we figured we'd go and maybe pick up some tips for, you know, riding the foil.

Pretty neat doesn't even start to describe how cool it was.

I'm not gonna lie to you, the wind blew all weekend and the conditions on the water were lousy. Did I mention it was windy?



This guy offered a lesson in exchange for a pull. If he'd asked for $100 too, it would have been worth it. I can't describe how neat it was to see him riding Behind. Our. Boat. Unfortunately, this was the only decent picture I managed; he did tricks so fast I kept missing them. He did give us a DVD of him riding that is just incredible.



The best part about the fly in? Cool people! Some new friends, who have been "foilers" just a week or so longer than we have, giving us a preview of what we have to look forward to in the near future.





Here I am, implementing my lesson. Poorly. See how I'm looking down? That's bad. Every single picture taken of me all weekend? Yup. Looking down.



Everyone we met was very nice, very encouraging. People would ride by doing amazing flips and spins, then stop and say "Hey, I had to learn too, let me watch you and see if I can help you." We spent quite a bit of time just watching them ride, but unfortunately not taking pictures. Next time.

No comments: